Monday, May 28, 2007

The Second Greatest Yard Sale

I say second because its only the second yard sale Ive had. And we didn't even
advertise!

I'm not one for yard sales as a customer or one who performs them. I rarely take the time to go to one unless it just houses away. I don't need more stuff. I have found a few doors for my house which was my best find ever. But I'm just not tempted in that way. I need to be carting stuff out & not tempted to pack more in.
But we did well in the yard sale.

Here's a few tips that helped us out.
1-We set stuff out on a Friday with neon paper signs on both ends of our fence and in our kitchen window with the dates.

2-We used masking tape the day before & wrote out what we wanted to sell
on the tape and place on our leather day timer. We priced the next day. It gives time for realty to set in that something you think is great the next person may see as ordinary. Also there are folks that aren't honest who will try to switch tags but with description they cant do that!

3- We posted a no liability for accidents -shop at your own risk sign. If someone gets hurt lifting and item or sprains their ankle on or property they will think twice before trying to sue us. Sadly my aunt had this happen to her. She claimed she was injured at their garage sale. A lady saw all the nice items my aunt had for sale -the size of their property & claimed injury to try & sue them for money. Nowadays you cant be too careful.

All in all I'm glad we took the time it was lucrative but only because my DH had 2 valuable guitars that real "pickers " knew the value of. They were high ticket items
that helped alot.
As for chotchkes I didn't have much in that vein - only a few mirrors & picures. If it were only that type of thing it would have been hauled to Salvation Army. I cant suck up 12 hours of my time for dust catchers.

As it was we hauled off quite a few things to SA. A shredder & a folding table for example- things I thought would sell for sure!